Sunday, July 4, 2010

Firsts

First day of High School – September 1974 - I am a geek. I am wearing high-water long pants, white heeled sandals, and a cool cotton top (“cool” as in not hot, not “cool” – remember, I am a geek - and the high-waters are because long pants are not quite long enough). It is where I need to be. . .where I am suppose to be. . .but boy, I am out of place. . .I am a geek. . .and wonder if I will ever fit in.

Fast forward. . .first day of seminary, fall 1984. I have missed the orientation week. I am the Co-Dean of a Junior High Camp on Catalina Island for the Synod of Southern California and Hawaii. I arrive at Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary the night before classes begin. My classmates have been told that I was leading a camp off the coast of California – they all translate that to “An Island = Hawaii.” They are impressed, and jealous. I am barely there, and we begin “baby-Theology” and all the rest. I am not ready. What in the world am I doing at Seminary. . .I can’t preach, don’t know Greek and Hebrew, and feel like a fish struggling up-stream. My friends in California remind me that this is why I am going to seminary – to learn to preach, to learn the languages, to swim in the waters of life.

Fast forward, again. July 3, 1988. . .I am ordained as a Minister of Word and Sacrament in the Presbyterian Church (USA) in Tropical Florida Presbytery. I am a minister, called by God to serve the church. I know this at the depth of my soul. . .but I still feel somewhat out of place. . .like a fish swimming up stream. . .but by the grace of God. . .Here I am, Lord.

July 3, 2010 – twenty-two years ago I was ordained. . .where has that time gone. I come today to the 219th General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (USA) and am commissioned as a delegate to this assembly. I am still a geek, after all these years. I have my shawl with Mickey Mouse on it, was given a Glinda the Good Witch Pez dispenser, and dark chocolate is on the table (thank you, Cindy & Jeff). I still wonder what God has in store for me, and feel like I am still swimming upstream. But God has called, I have answered, the Presbytery of Southeastern Illinois has listened to God’s voice and sent me here, and now I am commissioned to do the work of this Assembly. Humbly I pray, Here I am, Lord, send me.

No comments: